Corporate Governance Quality On Specific Case Of Romanian Listed Companies
Keywords:Corporate governance, comply or explain, listed companies, emerging economies, Romania.
The purpose of this paper is to analyse the compliance of Romanian listed companies with corporate governance codes. From 2010, the “Comply or Explain” Statement, which discloses if and how the corporate governance principles are applied, became mandatory for all companies listed on Bucharest Stock Exchange (BSE). The methodology employed is based on the analysis of the above mentioned Statements published for the period 2009-2013. Research aims to present through a longitudinal and qualitative study the evolution of the compliance with the BSE Corporate Governance Codes. Most of the observed companies made a step forward in what concerns corporate governance principles and over the study period they disclosed more information on their statements. On the other hand, we found cases where the statements made over the studied period contained inconsistencies for some principles. The implementation of corporate governance rules ensures transparent decision-making, based on clear rules and objectives, and increases shareholders’ confidence in the company.
How to Cite
International Journal of Entrepreneurial Knowledge (ISSN 2336-2960) is published by the Center for International Scientific Research of VŠO and VŠPP in cooperation with the following partners:
- University College of Business in Prague, Czech Republic
- University of Entrepreneurship and Law, Prague, Czech Republic
- School of Business and Administration of the Polytechnic Institute of Setúbal, Portugal
- Faculty of Operation and Economics of Transport and Communications, University of Zilina, Slovakia
- Copyright belongs to the Center for International Scientific Research of VŠO and VŠPP.
- The publisher, Center for International Scientific Research of VŠO and VŠPP, provides free access policy to the Journal of Tourism and Services.
- International Journal of Entrepreneurial Knowledge is an open-access journal with CC BY-NC-ND licensing policy which means that all content is freely available without charge to the user or his/her institution. Users are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles, or use them for any other lawful purpose, without asking prior permission from the publisher or the author. This is in accordance with the BOAI definition of open access.