ANTECEDENTS AND BARRIERS WHICH DRIVE SMES IN RELATION TO CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY? LITERATURE REVIEW
Keywords:CSR, SMEs, Literature review, qualitative methods
Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) cannot be considered a "shrunken" of large enterprises. They are highly heterogeneous, usually have more informal organizational characteristics, and do not have departments dedicated explicitly to corporate social responsibility (CSR) tasks. Therefore, research on CSR in SMEs faces many challenges. The situation is a complex phenomenon, primarily because the nature of CSR is influenced by the environment uniqueness in which it is studied or practiced. This paper aims to identify the main themes of qualitative research on CSR in SMEs. The Web of Science database was chosen to identify relevant literature, and the research focuses only on peer-reviewed articles published in English up to November 2022. The resulting dataset was created by selecting articles with a qualitative or combined approach. A total of 21 articles published in 10 journals were identified. The published studies contained the following research streams: 1. SMEs' CSR activities and reasons for involvement, 2. Ethical values of the entrepreneur or owner-manager and their impact on SMEs' social responsibility, 3. Relationships with stakeholders, 4. The nature of SMEs' social responsibility implementation. The findings of this study contribute to the CSR literature and have important practical implications for SME managers. The conclusion also formulates questions to stimulate the potential for further research.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 International Journal of Entrepreneurial Knowledge
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
International Journal of Entrepreneurial Knowledge (ISSN 2336-2960) is published by the Center for International Scientific Research of VŠO and VŠPP in cooperation with the following partners:
- University College of Business in Prague, Czech Republic
- University of Entrepreneurship and Law, Prague, Czech Republic
- School of Business and Administration of the Polytechnic Institute of Setúbal, Portugal
- Faculty of Operation and Economics of Transport and Communications, University of Zilina, Slovakia
- Copyright belongs to the Center for International Scientific Research of VŠO and VŠPP.
- The publisher, Center for International Scientific Research of VŠO and VŠPP, provides free access policy to the Journal of Tourism and Services.
- International Journal of Entrepreneurial Knowledge is an open-access journal with CC BY-NC-ND licensing policy which means that all content is freely available without charge to the user or his/her institution. Users are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles, or use them for any other lawful purpose, without asking prior permission from the publisher or the author. This is in accordance with the BOAI definition of open access.